The way in which organisations look after their staff can help to significantly boost corporate profiles and employer reputations in the market place.
But that’s not all. Good health and safety practices frequently go hand in hand with high levels of productivity, quality and performance.
Research shows that taking care of staff makes them more inclined to look after an organisation’s interests. In other words, the safer and more confident and valued your workers feel – the more diligent and motivated they will be.
For some organisations, however, implementing an active risk management strategy poses a significant challenge: how do you avoid reducing efficiency by over burdening staff and managers with health and safety processes, systems and unnecessary paperwork?
The aim of the game is to implement appropriate, proactive protection for an operational environment, without bureaucracy or huge cost.
And that’s where two-way radio solutions can play a critical role.
Today’s sophisticated two-way radios and their supporting applications are getting ‘smarter’. Organisations are switching from traditional thinking and enabling comprehensive procedures and behaviours to be implemented and enforced in a streamlined and unobtrusive manner through the two-way radio device.
Let’s take a look at just some of the ways health and safety managers can take advantage of the flexible communication options two-way radio offers, when it comes to proactively protecting and monitoring workers well-being:
- Round the clock information collection and reporting
- Timely warnings and information messages that can reach operatives without delay
- Automate and communicate safety checklists in real-time – and record in a central database
- Geo-fencing that ensures operatives don’t stray into areas they are not qualified to enter
- Workforce monitoring that minimises risk liabilities and checks worker status
- Time stamp documentation for automated recording of safety checks
- Deploy lone worker emergency communications for those working in high risk, isolated situations
- Set up buddy systems and group call that enables workers to regularly check in with one another
- Accurate GPS tracking and automated alarms should a worker become incapacitated
- Operatives can report ‘near miss’ scenarios in real time – which can then be captured, recorded and managed through a risk assessment and remediation procedure
- Push alert data notifications automatically from control devices to ensure users are aware of status changes on surrounding machinery or systems.
- RFID tracking of users and assets with tags and checkpoints
Poor communications is one of the biggest obstacles health and safety managers face when trying to enable a streamlined health and safety system. Information can be exchanged quickly and in real-time so decisions can be made fast, using the best information available to proactively prevent mishaps.
As a safety-oriented technology, two-way radio offers one of the most cost-effective options available to organisations looking to keep workers safe from harm, many workers already carry a device, unleash the safety potential with a Hytera communication solution.
If you’d like more information on how radios can enhance the Health & Safety at your business, download our More Than Just a Radio Whitepaper.
26 July 2017